Can't think that I've left my first resume of the years new releases that I've enjoyed so late before. However, here it goes; with the following proviso. Like the last couple of years new releases have been subject to all sorts of delays to release, albums recorded by various artist forced to record in seperate locations because of the covid restrictions which have taken a long time to put together, and, I susspect, unavailability due to problems with gigging to support sales. (on this subject one of the bands recently promoted by Phonic FM admitted to us that they expected to make at least as much from 'merch' as they did from their fees at venues)
Monday, 11 July 2022
Wednesday, 4 May 2022
Playlist 3rd May 2022:
- Sombrero Sam Charles Lloyd Dream Weaver
- Jungle fiction John Scofield Uberjam
- What's new? Jimmy Smith Cool blues
- La vida es un carnaval Angelique Kidjo Celia
- She wont forget me Ethan Iverson Everey note is true
- Get happy Milt Jackson & Coleman Hawkins Bean bags
- That's all I want from you Nina Simone Baltimore
- Bright Mississippi Fred Wesley New friends
- Heavy vibes Montana Orchestra 12" single
- Imik si mik Hindi Zahra Handmade
- Summer Breeze Ole Matthiessen Social distancing blues
- Blue Train (alt take) John Coltrane Blue Train
- Honeybone Russell Malone Triple play
- Police & thieves Zara McFarlane If you knew her
- Billie's bounce Django Bates Beloved Bird
- Circling Tord Gustavsen The Well
- Dance of denial Ray Barretto Contact!
- Looking for the heart of Saturday night Gwyneth Herbert Bittersweet & Blue
- Three to get ready Dave Brubeck Quartet Time out
- Hub's nub Freddie Hubbard Open sesame
Tuesday, 26 April 2022
It's been a while....
Been meaning to catch up (and will!), but, for now, whilst the website is undergoing some atttention here's the playlist for Tuesday 26th April.
It'll be like this next week as well for reasons you can hear on the show which should be up on mixcloud soon!
- Blue Bossa Joe Henderson Page one
- Live alone and like it Cyrille Aimee Let's get lost
- Abusey Junction Kokoroko We out there
- Mambo Inn Ronny Jordan A brighter day
- Back home blues Charles Mingus Mingus three
- Love me or leave me Nina Simone Mood Indigo
- Two steps Al Swainger Hearts full of grace ( out 1st June)
- Dry danse Chick Corea My Spanish heart
- There is a crack in everything Alison Rayner Short stories
- Senor blues Carmen Souza The Silver messengers
- Brother Yusef Ole Mattheison Social distance blues (out 13th May
- On Staddon heights John Surman Saltash Bells
- 20% body fat Robert Walter There goes the neighbourhood
- Canteloupe Island Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles
- Ever since I stole the blues Mose Allison My backyard
- Swift Nejira Blume
- Douglas Jorge Rossy Beyond Sunday
- Essa Cancao Sabrina Malheiros New Morning
- Harder Soul Revivers On the groove
- Biere la gazelle New Kora Band New cities
- The Village blues walk Kofi- Barnes Aggregation Kofi Barnes aggregation
Monday, 20 December 2021
Edge of Jazz Top Ten releases 2021: Five to One.
5. "En attendant " - Marcin Wasilewski Trio.
4. "Wes reimagined" - Nigel Price Organ Trio.
3. "Close your eyes" - Lionel Loueke.
2. "Samara Joy" - Samara Joy.
1. "Future Stride" - Emmet Cohen.
Two that could have/should have:
"Stepping up" - Simply this Quintet.
"Secret Night Gang" - Secret Night Gang.
Monday, 13 December 2021
Edge of Jazz Top Ten Releases 2021.
10. "The News" - Andrew Cyrille Quartet:
9. "It's all your fault" - Mike LeDonne Big Band & Groover Quartet.
8. "Squint" - Julian Lage.
7. "Night Owl" - Nick Hempton Quartet.
6. "Friends with Monsters" - Nishla Smith.
Friday, 10 December 2021
2021 - A new category!
3. "Merci Miles-live at Vienne" - Miles Davis.
2. "Groovin' at Small's Paradise" - Jimmy Smith.
1. "The Montreux Years" - Nina Simone.
Monday, 22 November 2021
It's coming up that time of the year where I start to think about compiling my Top 10 albums of the year. This year I may have to alter the format. Yes, there are 10 albums that currently fulfil the loosely based criteria that I use each year (strange that my Top 10 seldom co-incides with anybody elses!). However, as well as those new releases it's also been a rather splendid year for re-releases, or releases of material that has either never, or seldom befoe been in the public domain.